The below statements should be read in conjunction with the applicable terms and conditions (as amended and supplemented from time to time) with respect to the accounts you open and maintain with us and/or products/services you avail or receive from us (such terms and conditions are published in this website or otherwise specifically agreed with you). For detailed provisions governing any of the matters referred herein, please refer to the said (account/service/product) terms and conditions as applicable to you. In the event of any conflict or inconsistency between any of the statements contained herein or any provision of the applicable (account/service/product) terms and conditions, the latter shall prevail as the overriding and governing terms.
Please note that some of the links on our websites lead to other HSBC or non-HSBC websites with their own privacy statements or notices, which may be different to the statements contained herein. You’ll need to make sure you’re aware and happy with their privacy and security notices or statements when using those other sites.
Reference in these statements to ‘you’ or ‘your’, includes you, any authorized person on your account, anyone who does your banking or transactions with us for you (e.g. trustees or executors, attorneys under a Power of Attorney) and other related people (including where applicable authorized signatories, partners, members and trustees).
HSBC's Privacy Principles
With respect to the data or information you provide to us, we maintain, amongst others the following privacy principles:
- We only collect personal information that we believe to be relevant and required to understand your financial needs and to conduct our business.
- We collect, use and store your personal information to provide you with accounts, services and products.
- We may share your personal information with other HSBC Group companies or agents, as permitted by law and in accordance with the applicable terms and conditions.
- We will only disclose your personal information to any external organization in accordance with the applicable terms and conditions.
- We may be required from time to time to disclose your personal information to Governmental or judicial bodies or agencies or our regulators, but we will only do so under proper authority and in accordance with the applicable terms and conditions.
- We aim to keep your personal information on our records accurate and up-to-date.
- We maintain strict security systems designed to prevent unauthorized access to your personal information by anyone, including our staff.
- All HSBC Group companies, all our staff and all third parties with permitted access to your information are specifically required to observe our confidentiality obligations.
Overview On How We Collect, Store, Use and Share Your Data
The following contains a general overview on how we collect, store, use and share your data. For detailed provisions, please refer to the applicable terms and conditions related to your accounts, products and services.
We collect your data, for instance:
- when you interact with us, open or maintain accounts with us and/or use our products and services;
- from public and regulatory databases, other people and companies, including other HSBC group companies;
- data from people who act for you or who you deal with through our services;
- data from public sources, credit reference, debt collection and fraud prevention agencies, and other aggregators.
We use your data:
- for purposes related to providing/offering accounts, products and services to you and carry out your instructions and service requests (e.g. to fulfil a payment request);
- to improve our products, services and marketing;
- to help us comply with laws, regulations and requirements, including our internal policies, in or outside Bangladesh;
- carry out checks in relation to your creditworthiness;
- manage our relationship with you, including (unless you tell us otherwise) telling you about products and services we think may be relevant for you;
- understand how you use your accounts and services, improve our products and services, including through analyzing how you use them;
- to detect, investigate and prevent financial crimes;
- provide personalised advertising to you on third party websites (this may involve us aggregating your data with data of others);
- help us to comply with requirements or requests that we or the HSBC group have or receive, such as legal, judicial or regulatory orders or directives;
- manage our business, baking operations, risk management and administration;
- exercising our legal rights;
- market our products and services to you, and to people like you, e.g. through traditional and online advertising;
- other uses relating to the above and as specified in the applicable terms and conditions related to your accounts, services or products with us.
We share your data with, amongst others:
- other HSBC group companies;
- third parties, sub-contractors, agents or service providers who work for us or provide services to us or other HSBC Group companies or who help us to provide services to you (including their employees, sub-contractors, service providers, directors and officers);
- other third parties who you consent to us sharing your data with;
- local or overseas law enforcement agencies, industry bodies, judicial bodies, regulators or authorities;
- any person who you hold a joint account with, people who can give instructions for you and anyone who is giving (or may give) security or guarantee for your loans, trustees, beneficiaries or executors;
- any third party who we may transfer our business or assets to so it can evaluate our business and use your data after any transfer;
- providers of reward, co-branding or loyalty programs, charities or non-profit organisations;
- social media advertising partners (who can check if you hold an account with us and send our adverts to you and advertise to people who have a similar profile to you);
- people you make payments to and receive payments from, your beneficiaries, intermediaries, correspondent and agent banks, clearing houses, clearing or settlement systems, market counterparties, credit agencies, payments/transaction platforms or service providers;
- fraud prevention agencies who’ll also use it to detect and prevent fraud and other financial crime and to verify your identity;
- debt collection agents for debt recovery purposes;
- anybody else that we've been instructed to share your information with by either you, a joint account holder or anybody else who provides instructions or operates any of your accounts on your behalf;
- our card processing supplier(s) to carry out credit, fraud and risk checks, process your payments, issue and manage your card.
- We may share your data locally or overseas;
- We may store your data locally or overseas, including in the cloud. We apply our global data standards and policies wherever your data is stored;
- If you provide data to us about another person you should tell that person how we will collect, use and share their data as explained in this notice and ensure necessary consent to share such data;
- We may collect, use, store and share your identification data, biometric data, your geographic data and location data based on your mobile or other electronic device;
Security is a top priority for us. Both you and we play an important role in safeguarding against fraud. This section outlines what you need to do and what we will do to help maintain security when using this website or any of our apps.
What we do
We try to protect your personal data against unauthorised or accidental access or processing. We do this by:
- implementing appropriate physical, electronic and internal processes to safeguard and secure your personal data;
- using 128-bit Transport Layer Security ("TLS") encryption technology, which is an industry standard for encryption over the internet to protect data, in the secure area of this site/app. When you provide sensitive information such as credit card details, it will be automatically converted into codes before being securely dispatched over the internet;
- protecting our web servers behind "firewalls" and our systems are monitored to try to prevent any unauthorised access;
- using the secure email facility if we need to send personal data to you by email. We won't send your personal data by ordinary email;
- taking all practical steps to ensure that personal data will not be kept longer than necessary and we comply with applicable laws and regulations concerning the retention of personal data.
What you need to do
Keep your account details and security details secure.
This means taking steps like:
- not sharing or allowing anyone else to know your username or password, so don't write them down. We'll never verbally ask you for your password,
- choosing a username and password that are not easily identifiable by others (such as your birthday, telephone number or email address),
- using the secure email facility on this app/website for general enquiries.
Keep your device on which you access the site/app secure.
This means taking steps like:
- keeping your device locked when not in use, with a PIN, password or biometric authentication;
- not sharing your device. If you do allow someone else to use your device, please supervise their use to ensure that they don't access your accounts;
- not sharing or allowing anyone else to know any access password that you use on your device;
- if you choose to activate any feature that allows you to use your biometric credentials to log onto your device or any of our apps, ensuring that only your biometric credentials are registered on the device to avoid unauthorised access by other people;
- only downloading HSBC apps and its updates from an official app store and not from any unofficial sources;
- installing the latest anti-virus and anti-spyware software on your device that you use to access this site/app, and keeping it updated. When installing protection, always use a reputable brand from a mainstream supplier;
- ensuring the operating system running on your device and the security update is up to date;
- not disclosing your online banking credentials to any third parties (including third party mobile aggregator apps);
- not using HSBC apps or accessing HSBC sites/pages on any device or operating system that has been modified outside the mobile device or operating system vendor supported or warranted configurations. This includes devices that have been "jail-broken" or "rooted". A jail broken or rooted device means one that has been freed from the limitations imposed on it by your mobile service provider and the phone manufacturer without their approval. The use of HSBC apps or accessing HSBC sites/pages on a jail broken or rooted device may compromise security and lead to fraudulent transactions which we may not be responsible for.
Occasionally we may collect personal information from visitors to this site and those individuals that participate in a contest or promotion (online or over the telephone, or at one of our branches). Such information is only collected from individuals who voluntarily provide us with their personal information. We may use this information to advise them of products, services and other marketing materials, which we think, may be of interest to them. We may also invite visitors to this site to participate in market research and surveys and other similar activities.
This is when we use your data to send you details about our products, services and offers provided by us or our co-branding, rewards or loyalty programme partners or charities. We may use data such as your demographics, the products and services that you're interested in, transaction behaviour, portfolio information, location data, social media data, analytics and information from third parties when we market to you. We don't give your data to others for them to market their products and services to you. If we ever wanted to do this, we'd get your separate consent.
Personal Information Collected by This Website
We collect information when you use our websites and use our apps. We also do this when you visit one of our social media sites.
When you view/access or use our website, apps or social media sites, we can see:
- What you click
- What you view
- How long you spend on pages
- Your device & internet connection details such as: type of device you're using, IP address and details about your internet connection, technical details such as your screen size and the software you're using, such as your web browser
- Your country or region (not exactly where you are unless we ask permission)
- Your unique advertising or other identification numbers allocated to your browser or device.
If you follow a link to this website, we know the last site you visited. You may have reached this website by following a link from an e-mail. When you open an email from us, we may be able to tell:
- that you've opened it.
- what links in the email you click on.
When you fill in a form on our website, we can see what you type.
If you send us a message, we may collect information you tell us.
Some of this data is collected by:
Service providers we collaborate with: These may be website hosts or social media sites.
Cyber-security filtering technology: This keeps our website safe from fraud and crime.
Cookies and similar technology: These are set on your device by us and our trusted service providers we collaborate with (please see further details below).
We don't often know exactly who you are from this data. But sometimes we may connect this data with other information we hold about you.
- If you browse our website and then access online banking, we may connect this data to you. The next time you visit, we may still link that data to you.
- If you browse our website while logged into social media accounts, then our partners may be able to connect this data to those accounts.
It might be possible to connect your browsing data to personal data held by third parties.
We use your data when it is in our legitimate interests.
This means we need to have a valid and lawful reason to use your data and balance this with your interests.
Personalizing Our Website
When you visit our website, we may use data we collect to make the site reflect you. This could include:
- Tailoring our website content and services for you.
- Showing your information or updates that might be useful for you.
- Showing products or services that we think will be of interest to you.
HSBC uses social media to:
- Help connect with you.
- Share information about our products and services.
- Sometimes these involve using your data.
Social media platforms may let you choose what advertising you receive. You should contact them for more information
When you use an HSBC Page on Facebook, Facebook Ireland and HSBC collect information about you. This includes:
- What you click on: if you start a messenger conversation.
- What you view: when you hover over a link or have an event page on screen.
- What you say: like comments or reactions.
- Your actions: like sharing or recommending.
- Your activity: how long you spend on pages, date and time of actions or websites you visited before you took the action.
- Your location: Country or region. This is not your precise location unless you have provided this in your user profile and you are logged-in.
- Your device and internet connection.
- Your Facebook profile details and user ID.
- HSBC has access to this information to use for reporting, insights and marketing purposes and so does Facebook.
- This helps HSBC improve our offering on Facebook and create better marketing. HSBC may also see this information if HSBC has communicated with you on Facebook. HSBC does this because it helps us know who we’re speaking to.
Facebook Ireland is a ‘joint controller’ with us in law for processing where we collect information about you:
- From your actions on our Facebook page.
- Through the Facebook pixel on our website.
We and Facebook have agreed to share some responsibilities to protect your personal data, by:
- Making sure we each have a legal basis for joint processing.
- Honouring your legal rights in respect of your data.
- Ensuring security of joint processing.
You can contact HSBC about how we do this. You can also contact Facebook about what they do. This includes exercising your legal rights in respect of the data Facebook collects and retains itself.
Further details of how Facebook processes your personal information, the legal basis it relies on, your rights and Facebook's contact details can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy.
We may record your visit to this site for analysing the number of visitors to this site, general usage patterns and your personal usage patterns and improving your experience. We may gather some of this information through the use of "cookies".
What is a cookie?
Cookies are small bits of information that are automatically stored on your web browser in your computer, mobile phone or other device for accessing the internet that can be retrieved by this site. We will be able to access the information stored on the cookies and record how you use this site.
Cookies are useful because they allow us to recognise your device and they store information about your use of this site which enables us to provide more useful features to you, to tailor the content of our website and mobile applications to suit your interests and, where permitted by your marketing preferences, provide you with promotional materials or direct marketing based on your usage patterns.
Most browsers are initially set to accept cookies. If you prefer, you can set your browser to disable cookies – you can do this through your browser setting (your browser’s ‘help’ function should tell you how to do this).
By disabling cookies, you may not be able to take full advantage of this site, including HSBC Internet Banking.
If you accept cookies during your use of this site or continue to use this app, you will be acknowledging that your information is being collected, stored, accessed and used as outlined above.
Will you provide data obtained via cookies to anyone else?
We may work with third parties to research certain usage and activities on this site and our apps on our behalf. Such third parties use technologies such as cookies, spotlight monitoring (this manages tagging which is used for example, to track which advertisement users clicked on to take them to a site) and web beacons (these are used to monitor the behaviour of the user, for example whether they scroll down a page) to collect information for this research. They use the information collected through such technologies (i) to find out more about users of this site, including user demographics and behaviour and usage patterns, (ii) for more accurate reporting and (iii) to improve the effectiveness of our marketing. They aggregate the information collected and then share it with us.
As part of the information that we share with them, we may share your advertising identifier and "installation event" (which means the data in relation to when you first install or use this site or our apps).
Should you wish to disable the cookies associated with such technologies, you may change the setting on your browser. However, you may not be able to enter certain parts of this site, including HSBC Internet Banking.
Other Important InformationUse of Information and Materials on Our Website
- Products and services referred to in this web site are offered only in jurisdictions where and when they may be lawfully offered by members of the HSBC Group. The materials on these pages are not intended for use by persons located in or resident in jurisdictions that restrict the distribution of such materials by us. Persons accessing these pages are required to inform themselves about and observe any relevant restrictions.
- These pages should not be regarded as an offer or solicitation to sell investments or make deposits in any jurisdiction to any person to whom it is unlawful to make such an invitation or solicitation in such jurisdiction.
- The information contained in these pages is not intended to provide professional advice and should not be relied upon in that regard. Persons accessing these pages are advised to obtain appropriate professional advice when necessary.
- HSBC and other parties own the trade marks, logos and service marks displayed on this site and users are prohibited from using the same without written permission of the HSBC or such other parties, as the case maybe.
- The materials on this site are protected by copyright and no part of such materials may be modified, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, transmitted (in any form or by any means), copied, distributed, used for creating derivative works or used in any other way for commercial or public purposes without HSBC's prior written consent.
While every care has been taken in preparing the information and materials contained in this site, such information and materials are provided to you "as is" without warranty of any kind either express or implied. In particular, no warranty regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a particular purpose or freedom from computer virus is given in conjunction with such information and materials.Linked Web Sites/Pages
Neither We nor any other HSBC Group member is responsible for the contents available on or the set-up of any other web sites/pages linked to this site. Access to and use of such other web sites/pages is at the user's own risk and subject to any terms and conditions applicable to such access/use.E-mail
E-mail messages sent to us over the Internet cannot be guaranteed to be completely secure. We will not be responsible for any damages incurred by users if they send a message to us, or if we send a message to them at their request, over the Internet. We are not responsible in any manner for direct, indirect, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of this web site.Downloading
Please note that any software downloaded from this website is at your own risk and HSBC neither assumes nor accepts liability for any loss, damage (whether direct or indirect) howsoever caused, as a result of any computer viruses, Trojan Horses, Worms, software bombs or similar items or processes arising from your use of this website.This privacy notice may be updated from time to time, and you’ll always be able to find the most recent version on this site.
Digital Marketing Team
HSBC Management Office
Level 4, Shanta Western Tower
186 Bir Uttam Mir Shawkat Ali Road (Tejgaon Gulshan Link Road)
Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka 1208, Bangladesh